As the first year of Senior Cycle, often students tend to let 5th year slip by, without taking advantage of the fact that they have no state exams at the end of it. From an academic point of view, students should use 5th year to create and summarise the best possible set of notes, as well as getting into good homework and revision habits. Paying attention to these two key aspects will allow students to build a good foundation for their final Leaving Cert (LC) year.
With no standardised structure to Transition year (and many students opting for it now), It can be difficult to settle back into patterns of revision and preparation in 5th year. Parents have a big role to play, as students look to regain momentum once again. From working with a lot of 6th year students each week, I can reassure parents that the majority of students do find their motivation and focus again in LC year; so try not to get too anxious about this. Below are some ideas and considerations on how students should approach 5th year and indeed how you as a parent, with increased awareness, can smooth their passage in 6th year.
Approaches and Considerations for 5th Year Students 2023
- It is an opportunity to produce high quality notes in preparation for the LC exam.
- It gives students a chance to research third level courses they may be interested in.
- Students get to explore different ways of learning, discovering which ones work for them.
- They find out which subjects aren’t their favourite and of which they need to refocus on.
- Being a bit more mature, students learn to listen better and work closer with teachers.
- They can pick subjects they genuinely have an interest in. It is crucial to choose well.
- Students may need a rethink about their attitude to school and their futures.
- Students need to enhance their ‘Exam Smart’ skills and knowhow on ‘excelling in exams’.
- 5th Year is Important for making new friends to support their senior cycle journey.
- Students should investigate how they can share work and notes with fellow students.
- Keeping up in class is half the battle in Senior Cycle – this is my number one tip.
- As a 5th year, be sure to develop a system of note taking and strive to be ‘super organised’.
- Discover and consider your strengths and weaknesses in 5th Lean towards your assets.
- Students should use the final term of 5th year to prepare a revision plan for their LC year.
- Getting involved in extracurricular in 5th year will make Senior cycle a lot more enjoyable.
- Setting small achievable goals each week will help students maintain daily motivation.
- 5th is a good year to reflect on the evening routine: Dinner, homework, sport, revision etc
- Students can research techniques on ‘feeling grounded’ if they are feeling overwhelmed.
- Use this year to build up constructive & positive working relationships with your teachers.
- Discover how to enjoy learning in 5th by retaining variety and fun in your revision & life.
ACE Maths Tuition Classes: acesolutionbooks.com/ace-maths-tuition
ACE Maths Solution Books: acesolutionbooks.com/buy-my-books